If you have or currently are being stalked, here are some options for what you can do next:

  • Keep documentation:

    • Even if you are unsure you want to report to the school or police, it can be very helpful to keep documentation of the stalking taking place. Save text messages, voicemails, emails, and other contact from the stalker. You can also keep a log of in-person contact— include the date, time, location, and type of contact.
      • It may be very stressful to have to keep track of all of this. Be creative in coming up with the most productive way of making a log but still taking care of yourself. For instance, rather than tracking all of the messages in real time, you may choose to add to your log only once per day, and then do a self-care activity afterward.
  • File for a protection order:

    • A protection order is issued by a court to restrict a person from certain behaviors. In this case, you could request a protection order telling your stalker to no longer contact you. Often a protection order can include certain locations that the person is not allowed to go to, such as your home, work, or school.
  • Reporting to the Office of Equity:

    • Whether or not the person who hurt you is part of the CU Denver | Anschutz community, we are here to help you.
      • If the person who hurt you is a CU student, faculty, or staff member, our office can launch an investigation to formally resolve your incident. This means that if after an investigation it is determined that the individual has engaged in behavior which violates our Sexual Misconduct, Intimate Partner and Stalking Policy, we can issue disciplinary sanctions up to and including expulsion from school (for students) or termination of employment (for staff, faculty). Our office will work with you to determine any interim measures, and to address any safety concerns, with the hope that you will be able to continue your academic pursuits, or employment (if you choose to) with as little interruption as possible. Some examples of interim remedies we may offer are:
        • no contact orders;
        • alternative arrangements for classes, extensions on assignments (with faculty approval);
        • access to classes online;
        • offering incomplete (with faculty approval) or withdrawal (with faculty approval);
        • and/or safety escorts around campus.
          • In cases where serious or imminent threat to you or the campus community exists, we may consider taking actions such as building, location or campus exclusions.
      • If the person who assaulted you is not a CU student, faculty, or staff member (or you aren’t sure), we can still help you. If you need support around missed classes, late assignments, time off from work, or other campus related needs to help you feel safe moving forward, we want to help. You do not need to initiate an investigation to access our support resources or interim measures. However, if the information you share with us leads us to believe that others may be in immediate danger, we may be obligated by law to move forward with an investigation whether or not you want to, with or without your participation. In these rare cases, we will work with you and notify you when we are obligated to move forward. We can also work with you to address any potential safety concerns or interim measures.
        • Can I report to both the University and the police? Absolutely! Please let us know that you’d like to also report to the police, and we can reach out to the appropriate law enforcement unit on your behalf. We may be able to set up a shared meeting to coordinate your reporting to both the University and law enforcement. We know it can be hard to talk about what happened, so we often work together with the police in an attempt to make things easier on you.
    • You can file a report with us via phone, email, or online form:
  • Reporting to the police:

    • At any time, you can call 911 and tell the operator that you need to report a stalking.
    • If you are not in immediate danger, you can also call the non-emergency line for the police in the jurisdiction where the stalking occurred (or most frequently occurred if it happened in multiple jurisdictions). On the non-emergency line you can set up a time to talk to a detective to give your statement.
      • Can I report to both the University and the police? Absolutely! We work hard to collaborate with our local police whenever possible and with your permission. If you report to both, please let the police know that you are a student and want to report to us as well.
  • I just want to talk to someone about this:

    • There are many confidential options available for you for support:

Other Stalking Resources:

See our Domestic Violence Resources for additional support and options if you are being stalked by a current or former intimate partner.